Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Love Affair With The Sun

I have fair skin, dark hair, green eyes.  I grew up as a burn once each season, freckle a lot, tan a little, type of person.

I loved the sun.  I loved the way it felt on my skin. I loved that it felt like a warm, comforting hug and instantly put me in a better mood. A warm sunny day means getting outside and enjoying life.  I still feel this way, but it is so bitter sweet now.

Growing up I was always outdoors.  I played a lot of sports.  I would play softball for both a recreational league and the church league.  I was the only girl in the neighborhood, and had to be able keep up with all the boys in order to join in, whether it be playing baseball, football, climbing trees or riding go-carts.  I had a pool in my backyard and spent several weeks each summer at my grandparents cabin on a lake, fishing, swimming and water skiing.  I never used sunscreen, unless I was already burned.

I never was one to seek a tan, but spending so much time outdoors I did have a tan by the end of summer.  I was in high school in the early 90’s when tanning beds became popular.  Both my parents went, and by the time I was about 15, I was joining in.  Only to get a base tan before spring break or summer break, not to get a dark tan.  By summer, I was back outdoors again, although less keeping up with the boys, and more time in my own pool or at the lake.  After high school, I joined the work force, had a family and didn’t get as much time outside.  Every couple of years, I would join a tanning bed for a couple of months, just to get a little color, but again, not getting dark.  A base tan is healthier than a burn, right?  That is a trick question, neither are healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment