Monday, September 12, 2011

I did it!

This morning I went to the MOPS meeting and presented my meeting topic idea.   In hindsight, I don't know why I was so nervous about how it would be received.  Maybe it was because one of the leaders obviously doesn't use sunscreen.  The rest of the leaders all have fair complexions, and look like they do, why would I be afraid that it would be rejected due to the one?

As I drove in, it hit me.  Yes, I can say that May is Skin Cancer Awareness month as a reason for selecting when the topic should take place, but it doesn't have to be a Skin Cancer Awareness topic to be effective.  Sun safety and developing good habits is the main goal.  They go hand in hand, right?  This is a moms group, putting the fear of cancer may be a topic that they don't quite want to cover, when the goal is to be positive and supportive of other mothers.

So when the ideas were being presented, I said "May is Skin Cancer Awareness month, what if we had someone come in to explain the new FDA labeling guidelines for sunscreen and give us some sun safety tips for our kids before summer"  Without hesitation, the blonde fair skinned leader said "That's a great idea" and the dark complexioned too tan leader who was standing slightly behind her was nodding in agreement.

Now there were a lot of ideas presented that day, so only time will tell, but I definitely feel good about it.  My first time attempt to present the topic to a group was well received.

1 comment:

  1. Great news...and congrats! You should feel extremely proud for having taken that big awareness step! Good luck in the preparation and make sure to ask for any input/ideas.

    :)

    ReplyDelete